Re: Offsite Management

Subject: Re: Offsite Management
From: Lin Laurie <linlaurie -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:42:17 -0700

I once had an experience where I tried to manage a writing group of several
people while dealing with an illness that meant taking time away from
onsite. I encouraged them to call me at home, but they said they felt like
they were bothering me and just wanted me onsite and available to help
them. I have to say in retrospect that I think they were right in wanting
me there. A lot of things happen daily and the manager has to be present to
catch the heat, resolve the issue, and so on. They also need to help with
direction, personality conflicts and other fun things. Nothing takes the
place of physical presence in the workplace.

I know I'd never try to manage offsite again. Working at home once in
awhile is different, and I think you could do that once in awhile without
causing problems.

Lin Laurie
http://www.winpro-press.com
WinPro Online Press