Re: Bulleted text

Subject: Re: Bulleted text
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:15:42 -0500

> This thread has been going on for so long that I'm beginning
> to question my understanding of indenting bullets.

Me too, and I've already had one off-line conversation about it. :-) But
I don't see the difference in your examples. To me, aligned bullets look
like this:

--------------
This is pargraph one, which is the main paragraph, and
the bullets will have something to do with this paragraph.

* Bullet 1 blah blah blah
* Bullet 2 blah blah blah
- And if you have a second-level bullet it would go here
- And here, of course
* Bullet 3 blah blah blah
---------

And indented bullets look like this:

---------
This is pargraph one, which is the main paragraph, and
the bullets will have something to do with this paragraph.

* Bullet 1 blah blah blah
* Bullet 2 blah blah blah
- And if you have a second-level bullet it would go here
- And here, of course
* Bullet 3 blah blah blah
---------

To me, the second arrangement makes it unclear which bullets fall under
which text. Perhaps it's because the aligned bullet is similar to the
way I learned to outline:

I. Big topic
A. Subtopic 1
1. Sub-subtopic 1
2. Sub-subtopic 2

in which every letter or number is aligned directly under the text it
breaks out from (and I woulda been in trouble if I'd done it any other
way). Old habits die hard, don't they?

Tracy

Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm