Re: FWD: Political traps

Subject: Re: FWD: Political traps
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:56:58 -0700

I had a very similar experience a while back. We decided to convert all
of our hard doc into HTML Help (well, except for the install and the
tutorial). I realized that this is not a Good Thing, because we had just
gotten the results of an online survey, in which we had 12 people say
that they liked our hard copy (or, even, that they liked that we even
*had* hard copy). Two people wanted to get better online doc, even if
they had to lose the hard copy doc.

Anyway, I wrote a counterproposal indicating all of the benefits of hard
copy documentation for certain uses (such as long conceptual topics where
the writer has to build on what's already been explained...something that
isn't feasible in online doc, where the user may or may not have read the
topics that lead up to the current topic). I also quoted the responses
from the survey, and gave information about how much a screen can hold
(1/3 of a page), and how fast users typically read on-screen (about 1/4
as fast as on paper), which I backed up with published sources.

I knew that I would be dismissed out-of-hand (and I was), but did it for the
right to later say, "See, I told you," when (if?) our users ask us for hard
copy documentation, again. (Plus, now I have a persuasive piece for my
portfolio! :-)

We'll see if I turn out to be right....

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com