Re: we recommend

Subject: Re: we recommend
From: Matthew Bin <mattbin -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:03:27 PDT

I, too, write manuals in the second person, and I agree that "we
recommend" is a bit of a wrench in terms of style.

I also agree with those who have said that starting a sentence with "it
is" is weak. It is. Er, I mean, I think this is true.

If there is only one best way, the recommendation should be implied. I
mean, most applications have three ways to perform most functions (menu,
toolbar, keystroke, for example), so one is limited to providing the
best solution, and possibly informing the user that other solutions
exist in some way, such as an introductory section.

However, when a number of different solutions, each with pros and cons,
we owe it to the user, I think, to explain the differences between the
solutions, the potential outcome of each, and then make a qualified
recommendation, in a conditional clause.

Speaking as a user, I get very frustrated when I am railroaded into
making bad choides because someone didn't tell me there were other
options. Such as when I need to do almost anything in Windows. Or
Word. Or Excel...

Anyhow, I think that "If A, B; if C, D." is the best approach. I'll
trust a manual that gives me info in this way.

Your opinions may, and in fact probably do, differ.

M@