Re: O&M vs. User vs. System Guide

Subject: Re: O&M vs. User vs. System Guide
From: Gail Gurman <gail -at- HOMEMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:31:13 -0700

GH> What is the difference between...?
GH> 1.) Operations and Maintenance Guide
GH> 2.) User Guide
GH> 3.) System Guide
GH> I'm working on a deliverable right now, and I'm not sure what to call it.

Are there any standards for these things? I've been told to change
the name of a book I've always called a "User's Guide" to make it a
"Reference Guide."

In fact, someone at my company decided that we would have two kinds
of books: Handbooks and Reference Guides. We've agreed that
Handbooks are short books with basic procedures. Reference Guides
have more indepth info.

I wish there were a list of document title terms with definitions of
what each means, but my suspicion is that there is no such thing,
that these things are just decided on a fairly ad hoc basis.

--
Gail Gurman http://www.wco.com/~gailg/
gail -at- homemail -dot- com