Re: Humor 'n' more

Subject: Re: Humor 'n' more
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 08:58:26 -0700

Max Wyss (prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch> wrote:

> Janice,
>>
>>With the amount of money it costs just to translate straight technical
>>text, I certainly wouldn't recommend adding the extra burden on the
>>translator (and thus extra time and cost to you) of trying to figure
>>out the probably culture-based humor, and then having to think of an
>>appropriate local equivalent.
>>
> it is a very cheap attitude when one complains about the cost of
> translation. IMHO, if providing adequate documentation to a certain
> language market is too expensive for a company, they better should not try
> to get into that market at all; they will not be successful. Well, unless
> their product is superior in some other ways (quality, features, price,
> etc.).

I was not complaining about the cost of translation. I was trying
to point out that the more straightforward the text you give the
translators, the more efficient your translation effort (and hence
time to translate and cost) will be.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html