The military hears that chickens can cross a road

Subject: The military hears that chickens can cross a road
From: "M. Hunter-Kilmer" <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:58:34 -0500

Moral: Know thy users.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)

Forwarded:

Issue: "Why did the chicken cross the road?

Air Education and Training Command (AETC): The purpose is to
familiarize the chicken with road-crossing procedures. Road-crossing
should be performed only between the hours of sunset and sunrise. Solo
chickens must have at least three miles of visibility and a safety
observer.

Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC): The chicken crossed at a
90 degree angle to avoid prolonged exposure to a line of
communication. To achieve maximum surprise, the chicken should have
performed this maneuver at night using NVGs, preferably near a road
bend in a valley.

Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC): Due to the needs of the Air Force,
the chicken was involuntarily reassigned to the other side of the
road. This will be a 3-year controlled tour and we promise to give the
chicken a good-deal assignment afterwards. Every chicken will be
required to do one road-crossing during its career, and this will not
affect its opportunities for future promotion.

Air Intelligence Agency (AIA): Despite what you see on CNN, I can
neither confirm nor deny any fowl performing acts of transit.
Questions? Please see the SSO.

Air Force Foreign Technology Center (AFFTC): This event will need
confirmation; we need to repeat it using varied chicken breeds, road
types, and weather conditions to confirm whether it can actually
happen within the parameters specified for chickens and the remote
possibility that they might cross thruways designated by some as
'roads.'

Air Combat Command (ACC): The chicken should log this as a GCC sortie
only if road-crossing qualified. The crossing updates the chicken's
60-day road- crossing currency only if performed on a Monday or
Thursday or during a full moon. Instructor chickens may update
currency any time they observe another chicken cross the road.

Air Mobility Command (AMC): The purpose is not important. What is
important is that the chicken remained under the OPCON of USCINCTRANS
and did not CHOP to the theater on the other side of the road. Without
CHOPing the chicken was able to achieve a seamless road-crossing with
near perfect, real-time in-transit visibility.

Theater Air Control Center (TACC): We need the road-crossing time and
the time the chicken becomes available for another crossing.

COMMAND POST: What #$%&^* chicken?

TOWER: The chicken was instructed to hold short of the road. This
road-incursion incident was reported in a Hazardous Chicken
Road-Crossing Report (HCRCR). Please re-emphasize that chickens are
required to read back all hold short instructions.

C-130 CREWMEMBER: Just put the damn chicken in back and let's go.

C-141 CREWMEMBER: I ordered a #4 with turkey and ham, NOT chicken.
Besides, where the hell are my condiments?! We ain't taking off til' I
get my condiments!!!

FIGHTER JOCK: Look, dude, that was the frag, OK? I've flown my 1.0 for
the day and I ain't got time for any more questions!

B-1 CREW: Missed the whole show--we had an IFE so we couldn't get out
to see it; you'll have to ask the SOF.

F-117 CREW: Wasn't that great! I snuck up on it at 2 feet AGL at 600
knots, illuminated it's tailfeathers with the laser designator and
goosed it before it even knew I was there!

AWACS CREW: Due to our being in a turn at that precise moment, we have
no confirmation of any chickens in the area at that time. Our ACE
advises that such an event is extremely unlikely, in any case.

CHECKMATE: The chicken used its unique ability to operate in 2
dimensions to bypass the less important strategic rings on this side
of the road and strike directly into the heart of the enemy, thereby
destroying the will of the enemy to fight and thus ending the conflict
on terms favorable to the chicken.

CONGRESS: The chicken appears to be an efficient substitute for F-22s!

Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC): Recent changes in technology,
coupled with today's multipolar strategic environment, have created
new challenges in the chicken's ability to cross the road. The chicken
was also faced with significant challenges to create and develop core
competencies required for this new environment. AFMC's Chicken Systems
Program Office (CSPO), in a partnering relationship with the client,
helped the chicken by rethinking its physical distribution strategy
and implementation processes. Using the Poultry Integration Model
(PIM) CSPO helped the chicken use its skills, methodologies, knowledge
capital and experiences to align the chicken's people, processes and
technology in support of its overall strategy within a Program
Management framework. The CSPO convened a diverse cross-spectrum of
road analysts and retired chickens along with MITRE consultants with
deep skills in the transportation industry to engage in a two-day
itinerary of meetings in order to leverage their personal knowledge
and capital, both tacit and explicit,and to enable them to synergize
with each other in order to achieve the implicit goals of delivering
and successfully architecting and implementing an enterprise-wide
value framework across the continuum of poultry cross-median
processes. The meeting was held in a park-like setting enabling and
creating an impactful environment which was strategically based,
mission-focused, and built upon a consistent, clear, and unified
Mission Need Statement and aligned with the chicken's mission, vision,
and core values. This was conducive towards the creation of a total
business integration solution. The Chicken Systems Program Office
helped the chicken change to continue meeting its mission.