Re: No subject given

Subject: Re: No subject given
From: David Warren <David -dot- Warren -at- NEXTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:37:16 -0400

Howdy!

Humor causes real headaches for documents either used internationally
or translated into other languages. Verbal humor is one of the most
idiomatic forms of speech; more culturally-specific than even insults
and "foul language." Even within the english language, some British
humor does not connect with US audiences, or Austrailian,...

THAT said, I *love* the Dummies books...but I'd hate to have to
translate one into Japanese.

David T. Warren
Pubs. Mgr., Nextel

Subject: No subject given
Author: Michael Burke <miburke -at- WSICORP -dot- COM> at INTERNET
Date: 6/16/98 11:54 AM

>Subject: Re: Humor as a communication technique
>Author: ,Lisa Higgins [SMTP:lisarea -at- LUCENT -dot- COM] at fed01 Date:
>6/16/98 5:31 AM
Seriously, the use of humor must always take the audience and their
situation in mind.

The manual I write are directed towards an audience who need
information in a quick, concise format. They would find humor as an
obstruction rather than as a help.

...I would rather use a manualthat spared the humor. As a writer, I
don't always know the mood or personality of the user. If the user is
stressed, anxious, nervous, or hurried, humor could be the wrong
ingredient.

Michael Burke