Re: Humor as a communication technique

Subject: Re: Humor as a communication technique
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:46:05 -0700

Debbie Figus (debbief -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il) wrote:

> I will add, though, that the "... for Dummies" books are quite pleasant to
> read through, obviously due to all that humor. So it does have its place,
> it seems.

I think this is an important point -- there's a difference between
after-market books, which can indicate by their cover and style that
they are going to be humorous tutorials, and the documentation that
comes with the product. Light and humorous prose in the "definitive"
documentation from the company that makes the product may not be as
well received.

I also agree with others that humor is not universal but is often in
the funny bone of the beholder.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html