Inserting Em-dash in Word/97 Autonumber Captions

Subject: Inserting Em-dash in Word/97 Autonumber Captions
From: David Warren <David -dot- Warren -at- NEXTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:17:16 -0400

Howdy!

I'm working a quickie project that must, for political reasons, be
written in Word/97. I *cannot* figure out how to automatically
separate the autonumbered text in figure captions "Figure
27--Satisfying Sheep" from the caption text. I don't want to follow
the old typewriting convention of using two hyphens "--" instead.

I've tried the following tactics without success:

1) Choosing "Insert Symbol" from the menu. The Autonumber dialog box
won't let me duck out to do it.

2) Storing an em-dash on the clipboard/in the Paste buffer. The
Autonumber dialog box won't let me paste.

3) Typing a double-hyphen and then pressing Enter (works in normal and
table text; Word converts the hyphens to an em-dash, and then you
backspace the cursor to eliminate the carriage return/line feed.)

4) Typing the alt-key combination suggested in the online help. The
dialog box does not allow all-key character entry.

Anyone got a suggestion that works in MS Word/97 + SR1.

Thanks!

David T. Warren
Pubs. Mgr., Nextel Communications