Re: Convincing a Client He Needs a User Manual

Subject: Re: Convincing a Client He Needs a User Manual
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:19:22 -0400

I don't have any "canned" language to support this argument, but I use the
following rationale to convince application developers to produce a user
manual:
1. The objective of user documentation is, to a large extent, to control
the user from misusing the system, for their own advantage. It shows the
benefit of correct process, and is a selling of ideas intended to
demonstrate how to use the software in the most efficient manner, with a
fairly low level of effort.
2. Properly designed user documentation can clarify procedures and
policies. By doing this, a company can realize "call avoidance" to their
support centers. Quite often, what users report as a "bug" or error in
software, is really a misunderstanding of how the system was designed to be
used.
3. When users are unaware of all the features of their current
applications, they become susceptible to competitive vendors. I have often
seen companies change hardware and/or software to a competitive firm, so
that they can take advantage of additional "features", when those features
were available in their current applications, they just didn't know. And
of course, ignorance spreads - if I don't know that an applications does a
particular "thing", when asked by a potential user, I would respond in the
negative.
4. The only stat I know is that it costs three times as much to attract a
new customer than it does to keep a current customer. Providing quality
user documentation is one way to keep a current customer.

Suzette