My last word on rates, for now...

Subject: My last word on rates, for now...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:03:32 -0400

Ron Sering <sering -at- ECENTRAL -dot- COM> wrote:

>So....the next time your local chapter or the national chapter contacts
>you to contribute to a survey, fill out the form. It will help all of us
>set rates or negotiate salaries. Also, if the current survey figures are
>on the low side for some areas, then more accurate data will reflect
>that, and we'll all make more $$$!!!

Which brings up another bias in the survey: it doesn't include non-STC
members like myself.

I suppose the percentage of STC membership varies from area to area,
but,
in Vancouver, I doubt that half the people making a living from
technical
writing or related fields belong to the STC. It might even be as high as
60 to 70%, although estimates are hard to make. And many of those who
don't belong, at least locally, seem to have 5 to 10 years of
experience.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List

"As we pull in tight to shore, this armada bent on rescue,
I could curse the men behind the desks who spend our lives this way,
I never signed on board to save them from this bloody lack of planning,
That strands these fine young men beneath the fires of Calais."
- James Keelaghan