Re: online doc vs hard doc

Subject: Re: online doc vs hard doc
From: Dick Gaskill <dickg -at- AG3D -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:02:27 -0700

I'd suggest that whether error messages should be on line or in print
depends on the product. Remember, the error messages, with causes and
actions to take, need to be readable when the error occurs, and
particularly if the product fails and/or causes the display to fail or
the computer to crash. Therefore, IMHO:

* If the failure of your your product, whether hardware or
software, can prevent the computer from running and/or displaying the
error messages when it fails, the error messages should be in print so
that users still have access to them.
* If the error messages can be displayed with or without the
product running, they should probably be on line.

-dg