Re: online doc vs hard doc

Subject: Re: online doc vs hard doc
From: Kenneth Marks <xxltall -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:24:11 PDT

> Kenneth -
>
> When I was docs manager at a PC hardware/software company, I always
had my
>writers put Error Messages and Troubleshooting info in the printed
manual.

> Why?
>
> If end-users have problems installing and/or running the software,
will
>they be able to access the Error Messages and/or Troubleshooting help
online?
>Probably not...
>
>Ronni
>

>Ms. Ronni Geist
>Editorial Director
>GeistWriters
>914.353.EDIT (3348)
>ronni -at- geistwriters -dot- com

Here's the rationale for putting error messages and troubleshooting info
online...

If our customers can install the product, they have access to the online
help from the product group; the product doesn't have to be running. Of
course, any error messages and troubleshooting info that are specific to
installing the product have to be in hardcopy.

I recognize that customers are not accustomed to using help when the
product is down. When it comes to changes in conventional presentation,
we have to assess the customer's comfort level.