The STC Survey (Summary)

Subject: The STC Survey (Summary)
From: "Taylor, Steve" <steve -dot- taylor -at- ALLEGIANCETELECOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:34:02 -0500

If you think you've heard enuf, there is always the delete key ;)

In order to put yesterday's thread on this subject, which at times was
rather heated, into perspective, I thought it would be worthwhile to
summarize briefly. Salaries are, after all, an important subject to most
(but not all) of us.

1) In reviewing all comments, I will conclude that the STC survey of
independent contractors is accurate, if you take into consideration the
population of the survey.

2) Remember the STC survey is not a scientific study, and should be used for
reference only.

3) We must not confuse the different pay schedules of people working in the
field, i.e., full-time employees vs. contract vs. independent contract. All
have different pay schedules.

4) In Dallas, the average salary of a full-time employee in the field is
about $45,000, based on local STC surveys. This varies based on experience,
the type of work, and the company. Contract people working for agencies are
doing a bit better, on average, but also have more expenses. Independent
contractors are in the 70-80K range before expenses. Please remember that
70K in Dallas is the same as 100K+ in San Jose or New York. This makes
salaries variable by region due to cost of living, etc.

5) How about a survey for tech writers, based on salary after expenses and
taxes?

Steve Taylor
Consultant for Technical Directions, Inc.
On location at:
Allegiance Telecom, Inc.
Dallas, TX
(214) 853-7182
steve -dot- taylor -at- allegiancetelecom -dot- com
http://www.alegiancetele.com