Re: glossary format query

Subject: Re: glossary format query
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:33:52 -0700

Miki Magyar wrote:

> I'm looking for opinions and current practice on this one - I've got a glossary for a short technical manual, and not every letter has an entry.

We just finished a manual with a glossary. Although ours had A-letter
entries, making it easy to start with words starting with A, we had some
letters with no entries. So we simply compounded that group (W-Z, for
instance).

Another practice is to roughly group the entries: A-C, D-F, etc. But
having the letter or grouping precede the actual entries helps the
reader find what he's looking for.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems
The first one, for instance, is under 'C'. In a previous manual, I used
large bold letters at the beginning of each section. I think that helps
users find their word more easily. So, do I put in the unused letters,
use only header letters for letters that have entries, or take out all
the header letters?