Re: PDF graphic nightmare

Subject: Re: PDF graphic nightmare
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- MEDIASYS -dot- NL>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:20:03 +0100

Tom Herme wrote:

> I have many bitmapped screen captures in my software manual developed
> using Word 8 (Word 97) that appear just fine on screen and when
printed.
> However they appear degraded (both on screen and when printed) after I
> write to Acrobat PDF.

Tom, this has to do with the compression rate. Distiller compresses the
original text and images to make the pdf-file as small as possible. The
images are by default downsampled to 72 dpi, hence the blurriness. But
this can be adjusted.

Open the Job Options Window (in the Distiller menu). Here you can define
what Distiller should do with the graphics: compress them or not. Fiddle
around with the different options to get the best result. No compression
means a bigger file, but crisp and clear images. That's the choice you
need to make.

HTH

Jeroen Hendrix
Technical Communications
Mediasystemen B.V., a Triple-P company
POBox 32, 2060 AA Bloemendaal, the Netherlands

Fax: +31 23 526 0072
Tel: +31 23 525 9010
mail to: jhe -at- mediasys -dot- nl
http://www.mediasys.triple-p.com