Re: conventions

Subject: Re: conventions
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 15:44:58 -0400

On 5/30/1998 11:10 AM, John Prince (prince1 -at- WEBTV -dot- NET) wrote:

>I have found this useful. For example, you write: "Use the up and down
>arrows in the Date spin box to select a value. You may also highlight
>the default value and type a valid value." The reader may not know what
>a spin box is.

Heck, *I* didn't even know what a spin box is (although now that I've
looked it up in the Microsoft style guide I get it). As in most cases of
cryptic, jargon-y words and phrases, this shouldn't be used for readers
who don't already know it, conventions page or no conventions page. The
Microsoft style guide even says about spin box, "Use only in technical
documentation." Even in a technical doc, I'd put it in the glossary to be
safe.

Why make the user turn to a Conventions page when you can simply re-write
to avoid the jargon? I'm still of the opinion that Conventions pages
usually either state the obvious or compensate for unclear writing.

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman