Re: That's not a stand-alone question (RE: Is Grammer [sic] Important ?)

Subject: Re: That's not a stand-alone question (RE: Is Grammer [sic] Important ?)
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:54:32 -0400

On 5/21/1998 12:28 PM, Wilcox, John (WWC, Contractor) (wilcoxj -at- WDNI -dot- COM)
wrote:

> If you're writing to an audience that expects good grammar,
>you'd better use it. But a great example of the opposite is the old
>Compleat Idiot's Guide to Volkswagen Repair, by John Muir. What a
>classic, even if you never owned a VW.
>
>First and foremost, always remember the TW's Prime Directive: Consider
>your audience. Audience analysis must come first. Everything you
>write, draw, or otherwise communicate depends on that.

This brings up one important reason that I've always considered good
grammar to be the default mode to use: if your audience expects good
grammar, you must provide it. If your audience doesn't expect good
grammar, you can't cause trouble by using it anyway.

This assumption lets me focus my audience analysis on other matters, such
as organization, technical level, and content.

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman