Re: Ideas for inexpensive manual production?

Subject: Re: Ideas for inexpensive manual production?
From: Tom Herme <hermet -at- DNINEVADA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:10:20 -0700

Eric:

I'm not sure if this is completely appropriate to your situation, but we deal with
a printer who use the Docutech digital printing process. This process has us
shipping them Word-generated PRN files which they can print very efficiently. On a
manual of about 225 total pages, they charge us about $10 each on lots of around
75-100. They coil bind the manuals. The turnaround time is typically 7-8 work days
from when we overnight our files and a print copy to when they return a proof copy
for review. Once we've signed off on the proof copy and places an order, we
usually have manuals delivered within a few days.

I agree that keeping up with software changes in printed documentation is
difficult. We are providing customers with manuals in PDF on the product CD. It
appears that our organizational goal is to issue printed manuals only on major
releases of the software and to provide documentation updates in the interim
through the website, e-mail, fax, and snail mail.

Hope this helps.

Tom

--
Tom Herme

DNI Nevada Incorporated
2000 Arrowhead Drive
Carson City, NV 89706-0403

Tel: 702.883.3400, Ext 231
Fax: 702.883.9541

mailto://hermet -at- DNINevada -dot- com