Re: Ideas for inexpensive manual production?

Subject: Re: Ideas for inexpensive manual production?
From: Cees Hesp <ceeshesp -at- TIP -dot- NL>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:02:27 +0200

Eric, Jason, Kathryn,

I know the problem all too well. Here's some tricks that I have used over the years:

- Reduce the number of printed manuals
For example by only covering the more stable, "conceptual" stuff in paper manuals,
and all the rest in the form of online documentation (Winhelp, HTML, PDF, whatever).
If you do not have something in print, there is no contractual obligation to provide it either.

- Fix the "organizational" problem (easier said than done, I know)
Insist on specs, code freezes, documentation freezes, beta programs (anything goes).
Most importantly, insist on a "GUI freeze", as in "fix anything you like, but after such and
such date do *not* touch the GUI."

- Make the software developers responsible for some parts of the documentation,
as in saying "you introduce(d) the problem, you fix it" (e.g. the release notes).

- Insist that the software be more user-friendly, more intuitive, less bug-ridden, etc.
This is a long-term goal, but remember that if there weren't so many idiosyncrasies
you would not have to document so much.

- Find a way of producing your documentation that makes dealing with change easier.
For example, single-point-of-definition, reuse, limiting the number of generation/
compilation runs required, componentization, separating the form, content, and structure of
your publications.

Cees

PS: An excellent way of doing the latter is to use HTM-S
(see http://www.chipinfo.com/products/htms.htm)