Re: telephone number formats

Subject: Re: telephone number formats
From: Scott Browne <sbrowne -at- UNICOMP -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 12:10:58 -0600

Max Wyss wrote:

> the period as separator is _very unusual_ in Europe (definitely in
> German speaking countries; France could have used periods).
<snip>

I wouldn't say that the period is "very unusual" in Europe. When I was
living over there a few years ago, I commonly saw the period used in
telephone numbers in Belgium, France, Holland, Luxembourg, and
Switzerland.

The number groupings were different for each country. France was
##.##.##.## while Belgium was ###.##.##. I also saw spaces or dashes
used at other times.

Even in the U.S. I see differences. Some use parenthesis around the
area code as in (###) ###-#### and at other times I see just dashes as
in ###-###-####. Europe, diverse with so many different cultures,
probably doesn't have a "standard" when it comes to writing phone
numbers.

But I definitely wouldn't say the period separator is "_very unusual_".

Scott
sbrowne -at- unicomp -dot- net
"Writing is like Prostitution. First you do it for
the love of it, then you do it for a few friends,
and finally, you do it for the money." -Moliere