Personal Data on Resumes

Subject: Personal Data on Resumes
From: Michael Johnson <michaelj -at- OECMED -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 12:11:01 -0600

I've always mentioned my personal interests on my resume, and it's always gotten me interviews and jobs. I get the most interest and positive results from mentioning that I'm an amateur radio operator (K7RVX) and that I'm intensely interested in satellite communications.

Now if I stuck up 7-11s in my spare time (and I don't), I probably wouldn't mention that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that personal items that point out technical ability or other assets are fine on resumes. But I don't think they should take up more than a line or two, and they probably ought to go at the end.

Hope to see a few of you in Anaheim. I'm flying out Saturday!

Mike Johnson
Michaej -at- oecmed -dot- com
Writer -at- wasatch -dot- com
Speaking for myself and not for OEC Medical Systems