Re: Frame+SGML and other candidates for sing

Subject: Re: Frame+SGML and other candidates for sing
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 12:26:02 -0400

Carl Stieren wrote

>Has anyone moved from documentation in PDF, HTML and WinHelp into a
>single-source solution, especially one with HTML as one of the output
>formats?

We have done exactly this at OmniMark. (The results should be visible on our
web site in another couple of weeks.) We output all the formats you mention,
plus postscript, from an information set maintained in an Access database.
The only difference between what we do, and the approach you described is
that we do not use Frame for authoring, though we do use it as an output
target for PDF and Postscript generation. We use a component based approach
for authoring and a custom built VB application as an authoring interface.
The DTD's for our components are simple enough that hand tagging the SGML is
both simple and quick. Input verification and output generation are handled
by OmniMark programs.

The system is reasonably simple to build and maintain, and it gives us
extraordinary power over both the authoring process and the generation of
output appropriate for each target media. The ability of the system to
generate very sophisticated linking on the fly is wonderful.

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications
OmniMark Technologies Corporation