Frame+SGML and other candidates for sing

Subject: Frame+SGML and other candidates for sing
From: Carl Stieren <STIEREN -at- SIMWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 11:47:00 -0400

Hello Colleagues,

Has anyone moved from documentation in PDF, HTML and WinHelp into a
single-source solution, especially one with HTML as one of the output
formats?

We have a Java-based product with nearly 200,000 words in a variety of PDF,
HTML and WinHelp formats. We'd like to use Frame+SGML as our authoring tool
and documentation source. However, we're using Frame 5.5 now, and I have NO
idea how difficult it will be to get, build or modify DTDs.

We''re considering storing our source in Frame+SGML (or even better yet, in
a database, perhaps a Microsoft Access database we build), and output our
documents to:

* one PDF file (an electronic book for users who want to print the whole
shebang)

* many HTML files with an index and table of contents in HTML for Web-based
searching.

Has anyone done this or anything like this?

Has anyone in a small-to-medium size company done this? At Simware in
Ottawa, we have 100 staffers, including two technical writers, one
multimedia guy, and two user interface designers.

- Carl Stieren
Senior Information Developer
Simware, Inc.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

/*
/* All opinions are mine. If you'd like someone who speaks for Simware, */
/* check out the Simware Web site, www.simware.com
*/
/* (There are new goodies on the site, just added on May 13.)
*/
/*