OK, good responses on parts lists, now how about foldouts?

Subject: OK, good responses on parts lists, now how about foldouts?
From: "Richard J. Collins" <writejob -at- DNAI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 05:33:26 -0700

Hello to all the hardware writers,
Well, I think those are the ones who are going to respond.

First off, I thought the advice offered on what level of parts to include in
parts lists in organizational manuals, helped a lot. Most writers voted for
limiting the list to just what the manual covered -- which turns out to be
the top level assemblies and power supplies and so forth. Now it can be
told, that was my point of view going in.

The other discussion that is croppin up now is how to incorporate
engineering drawings into the foldout section (pages are 11 x 17, no apron).
One camp wants to leave the border zones and document control information
intact. The other side wants to strip it off and enlarge the content to the
maximum of the page image area to improve legibility. Most assembly drawings
are done for output on E size or D size paper and when reduced to fit an 11
x 17 the type is extremely hard to read on some drawings.

The border information is useful for digital circuits or other such drawings
and schematics that incorporate a component numbering scheme that is
referenced to the border zones. I can see leaving that intact. But if the
border information serves no useful purpose on an assembly drawing, and
leaving it on makes you shrink the image to make it fit, and that hurts
legibility, I say take it off.

Opinions, rationalizations and so forth are very welcome.

Thanks

Rich Collins
Write Job
408 370-2855