Re: Period at end of items in bulleted list

Subject: Re: Period at end of items in bulleted list
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 17:59:27 -0400

There are options, and once you decide which option(s) you like, be
consistent with that style. I like to use:
* semicolons after bullets where the entries are fragments;
* periods after bullets if the entries are complete sentences; and
* a closing period once I've completed the introduction.

With short imperative sentences, I omit the semicolons, and the "and", as
well as the period.
* Write concisely
* Be consistent
* Adhere to standards

Dave Neufeld wrote:
> I like what the MS Style Guide says:
>
> "...Make entries in a list parallel. End each entry with a period if all
> entries are complete sentences, are a mixture of fragments and
> sentences, or complete the introductory sentence. An exception is when
> all entries are short imperative sentences (three words or fewer) or
> single words; these entries do not need a period. If all entries are
> fragments that do not complete the introduction, do not end them with
> periods."

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1 Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com

See my friendly face at:
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/a.htm#agnewb