Electronic Documentation Defined - Question

Subject: Electronic Documentation Defined - Question
From: Debbie Stewart <Debbie_Stewart -at- SIECOR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 16:33:22 -0400

Okay. I am new to this form of documentation, so please don't blast me,

but teach me. This is the very kind of thing that is NOT taught in *most*
schools,

but is learned primarily hands-on or through co-workers and mentors. I do
not

have fellow tech-writer-co-workers doing what I am doing and did not learn
any

of this in school.

Challenge:

Please explain the forms of electronic documentation and how they work and
what

software and tools are used for each. Yes, this is brain picking, but from
the best

garden, I must say! Some of you have areas of expertise that are your
favorites. Could

you take the time to elaborate on one or more of these areas or broaden the
areas.

1. Software development: you create online help files that are part of the
software.

2. Internet/Intranet: you create documents that have links and are
formatted using meta-languages.

3. Others, which are ?????

Could you take on the task to explain how it works? I thought that WinHelp
was part of Windows, but is it

an application or is it an end product? What good books go into this type
of technical, fast moving

documentation formats?

Please feel free to reply off-line and I will do a summary! I have a real
learning curve here

and appreciate all replies and information!

Debbie Stewart
Lone Tech Writer
Siecor Operations, LLC
Hickory NC
704-327-5143
debbie -dot- stewart -at- siecor -dot- com