Re: Online Document Reviews

Subject: Re: Online Document Reviews
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 14:00:33 -0400

Bill -

Yes, Acrobat's Reader is free. However, the person viewing the file via
the Reader can't do anything except view or print the PDF file. They
must have Acrobat Exchange in order to add comments, bookmarks, links,
etc., and Exchange is not freely distributable. You must purchase a
license for each person that will use Exchange. Envoy allows the viewer
to add comments, bookmarks, links, etc., in their (free) Viewer.

But I'm glad you brought this up, because after my last post on this
topic, I checked into Envoy and found out that Tumbleweed Software has
decided to drop Envoy and adopt Adobe Acrobat. Why, I'm not sure, except
that they did concede that PDF was the standard for electronic
publishing. My guess is that they either didn't have the marketing savvy
or $$$ necessary to fight Adobe in the marketplace, which is a real
shame since their product was much better than Adobe's. (I wouldn't be
surprised to learn that a major infusion of cash from Adobe had
something to do with the decision.) Anyway, Tumbleweed says it has sold
the Envoy core technology to Novell - don't know what Novell plans to do
with it.

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Sr. Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.