Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vsnon-techie...) -Reply

Subject: Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vsnon-techie...) -Reply
From: robyn <robyn -at- MAIL -dot- GOT -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:38:06 -0700

I liked to ask "Why do you want to be a Technical Writer?" That was my
favorite question to ask and to answer. I think that the journey is
important. Very few people say "I want to be a tech writer when I grow
up." So, why? Personally, I like the teaching aspect of tech writing.
I've heard from people who say that they enjoyed writing but wanted
something to fall back on, people who said that they like to design
books, and people who said that they really loved technology and
learning.

I hate logic questions. There is no logic in my world. But beyond that,
I don't think that logic questions accomplish much. I cannot tell you
how many gas stations there are in the US, but I can tell you how to
operate a gas pump.

Which brings me to my second favorite question, and one that I could
never ask because it was too much like a "test." I was asked to explain
how to use a telephone. The interviewer pretended to have crawled out of
a cave. It was great! I think that really tests a person's ability to
think on his/her feet and to work things out.

--
-robyn
home email: robyn -at- mail -dot- got -dot- net