Re: Tech Writers who don't like technology

Subject: Re: Tech Writers who don't like technology
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:20:21 -0400

At 08:51 AM 5/11/98 -0500, Rene Gedaly wrote:

<SNIP>

>I've yet to meet another writer who reads or subscribes to Science News,
>Scientific American, or any(!) technical journal as either a way to keep
>up in the industry or for sheer pleasure. I really hope this is because
>I don't get out much.

I was glad to see you add "any technical journal" to your list. I do not,
nor have I ever, subscribed to Science News, or Scientific American. I DO
read OIl and Gas Journal, Chemical Engineering, and a vast number of
computer-related journals and magazines. That's where my focus is, both
professionally and personally.

<SNIP again>

>I think a genuine interest in our subject matter will take us, as
writers, a long way.

Absolutely. So why should a technical communicator who writes for the
insurance industry, for example, keep up with Scientific American? Why
should a technical communicator who writes software manuals or online help
for the aerospace industry read the AMA journal (sorry, I don't know the
exact title)?

No one has the time or energy to keep up in ALL the fields we as technical
wrters are involved in. So we pick our subject areas carefully. Please
don't disparage those of us who work in and follow different fields than
your own.

Win
Win Day
Freelance Technical Writer/Editor