Tech Writers who don't like technology

Subject: Tech Writers who don't like technology
From: Rene Gedaly <rgedaly -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 08:51:18 -0500

What surprises me most about the non-technical tech writers I've met is that
they don't seem interested in the scientific world, they don't want to be
bothered learning new technology aside from their own communication tools,
and they're even ignorant of the scientific method. I've yet to meet another
writer who reads or subscribes to Science News, Scientific American, or
any(!) technical journal as either a way to keep up in the industry or for
sheer pleasure. I really hope this is because I don't get out much.

Some of the finest technical communicators have been scientists. And while
we can't all be Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, or John Gribbin (a PhD
astrophysicist turned writer--see his "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat (and
Kittens)" if you want to understand quantum mechanics)...I think a genuine
interest in our subject matter will take us, as writers, a long way.

Rene Gedaly rgedaly -at- msn -dot- com
Single Source Documents
P.O. Box 130639
The Woodlands, TX 77393