advice on starting part-time

Subject: advice on starting part-time
From: David Appell <appell -at- NH -dot- ULTRANET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 09:00:22 -0400

I'd appreciate any advice on how to get started doing technical writing
on a part-time, contractual basis. I have a very technical background
(physics, telecommunications engineering and some computer programming),
and also a good deal of experience writing journalism and other
nonfiction. Do I need anything else?

What do I need to know/realize/understand/accept, going in, in order to
get started and get the first job doing technical writing?

Where is the best place to start looking for such jobs?

I'd appreciate any advice, on-line or off.
Thanks in advance.

David
appell -at- nh -dot- ultranet -dot- com
http://www.nh.ultranet.com/~appell