Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 16:21:51 -0700

Eric Ray said:

> And effective user manuals result from writers explaining to users
> how users can do what they want to do. From my perspective,
> awful manuals usually result from explaining what the product
> does and how it does it, while effective manuals--of any length--
> result from explaining to users how to accomplish something
> that users care about accomplishing.

Absolutely! I used to describe it to my writers as the difference
between writing "The Joys of XProduct" and "Using XProduct."

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html