Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 10:48:06 -0700

John Renish writes:

> FWIW, the famous Sun style guide permits both these abbreviations. E.g.
> means 'for example' and should always be used without 'etc.' or 'and so
> on'. I read 'etc.' or 'and so on' as, 'and I can't think of anything else'
> in the best of cases; such qualification makes no sense with 'e.g.' or 'for
> example' because an example or list of examples is never meant to be taken
> as exhaustive. There is nothing wrong with writing 'for example' if your
> house style is to avoid abbreviations or just abbreviations of the literary
> sort.

We do? I know reviewers told us that when converting our internal style
guide to the commercial guide that we needed to take out strictures
that were a matter of choice (for example, serial commas, which we use
in-house but which are perfectly acceptable to leave out). I wouldn't
be surprised if we took out the internal rule against using Latin
abbreviations, but I'd be very surprised if we advised the use of them,
or said much one way or another outside of explaining what they mean.

I'm working at home today so I don't have access to a copy.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html