Re: PhotoShop and Corel Suite compatibility

Subject: Re: PhotoShop and Corel Suite compatibility
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 11:30:50 -0500

> He is using PhotoShop to create and modify his images -- all mostly
> .gifs with several "layers" in them. He works with both Mac and Windows
> 95.

AFAIK, once you save a file as a GIF you lose the Photoshop layers and
it becomes a "flattened" image. The other writer would have to save them
as Photoshop (PSP) files. I don't know if other graphics programs can
open PSP files.

> QUESTION: Do I need to try to get my boss to approve a $600 PhotoShop
> purchase, or can I use Corel to manipulate the PhotoShop files? I
> played around with this a little bit and it didn't seem to work, but
> maybe I'm missing something.

I haven't used the Corel program, but any graphics program can edit GIF
files. The problem is if you want to edit individual layers -- for that,
you'd need to edit the original PSP file, and therefore might need
Photoshop. The newest PaintShop Pro (< $100, I think) also has layers,
but can it read Photoshop layers? I don't know.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm