Re: Graphics Apps - Adobe vs. Corel

Subject: Re: Graphics Apps - Adobe vs. Corel
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 17:03:20 +0200

Barb,

Photoshop is essentially for raster graphics. It can rasterize EPS, however.

DXF is another chapter. Due to the totally different model CAD systems are
using, you may need some trickt to kick it to the desktop... One thing is
to add different colors to every pen. With this, you can select at least
the same pen style.

The more serious problem is, however, that the DXF format does not support
polylines very well. You will get lots of unconnected individual lines,
which you would have to connect manually to get the right effect for your
illustration. And, the support of curved lines is very very rudimentary.
You will end up in almost any case with polygons.

For the Mac, I do know of some products which claim to do some reasonable
conversions to EPS.

If the drawing is rather complex, however, it would be useful to rasterize
it anyway. My normal procedure for this is to use the PDF format as
intermediaire.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap