How can I be a technical writer?

Subject: How can I be a technical writer?
From: Randal Brown <contract5 -at- ARCTICMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:43:09 -0400

Want-to-beees:

How can I be a technical writer? I have no knowledge base. I have my English degree but I don't really know a thing about anything technical. I couldn't tell you the diff between a Dynamic Link Library and the Publick Library. I am just like a lot of you out there in that respect. With low-pay service work staring at me, I really desire to jump on the tech write bandwagon.

I think that this concept of becoming a technical writer without a knowledge base is an invention of the 90s and a very tight job market for "decent" jobs. Just look at some of the ads for technical writers in some of the old technical pubs from the 50s. You will find that most ask for engineers and phycisists who can write, NOT writers who want to pretend that they know something technical.

This deception makes me sick to my stomach. I'm out of here, and on to what I hope will be a more honest form of earning a living. Will the owner of this list please do whatever is necessary to cancel my account. I don't know how!

Randal