Re: secretary's day

Subject: Re: secretary's day
From: Layna Ayre Andersen <layna -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:06:14 -0400

From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>

>Ouch. That happened to me about 12 years ago. I was able to talk to the
person
>who sent the card and nicely explain that I wasn't a secretary.
Unfortunately,
>the secretaries got mad, because they thought I considered myself above
them.
>Then, I had a new issue to resolve. Secretaries are not a group you want
>anger, especially if they stand between you and the SMEs. Approach this
>carefully, because there's a lot of truth to the saying that 'secretaries
run
>the world.'

As an ex-secretary, I agree! But we generally don't get paid nearly enough
for running it, and get much of the blame when it runs wrong. ;-) That's
why I am just now finishing my bachelor's in Professional & Technical
Writing! And I've got an interview Friday and one Monday, both in Seattle,
where we really want to live -- please, wish me luck!

Layna Ayre Andersen