Indexing (Concordance) Software?

Subject: Indexing (Concordance) Software?
From: Lee Daniels <mail33028 -at- POP -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:25:03 +0000

De-lurking...

I am looking for a program that can use
Word for the PC to automatically create
a concordance-style index. That is, to go
through and list page numbers for every word
not found in an exclusion/exemption list.
Rudimentary, but better than nothing, which
is my other alternative with this employer.

I'm sure there's a solution out there, but
I'm having no luck finding it. The last time
I used such a program was with WordStar way
back in the Days of DOS. I have seen such
programs advertised since then, but of course
now that I need one I don't know where that
might have been. :-)

And, no, before you say it, I can neither take
the time to create a real index manually, nor hire
an indexer. Believe me, I wish I could do either!
But I have come into the Project from Hell - you
know the one, where doc was completely ignored
until almost time for the release. Date slips are
not possible. My only choice is to pull the scope
in further and further.

The only other alternative to a concordance is to
release, for three complex products, large manual
sets without indexes, a concept which I find totally
unacceptable, if not downright irresponsible.

C'mon, I know someone out there can save me. :-)

Thanks!

Lee Daniels