Automatically generating C/C++ function documentation

Subject: Automatically generating C/C++ function documentation
From: Chris Knight <knight -at- ADA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:35:26 -0700

Indeed it can be automated, by writing macro programs in MS Word. There
may be utilities too, but I've never heard of them.

It works because source text is structured; it has to be for the
compiler to work. What you do is take advantage of the structure to
extract the information you want, typically declarations of types and
functions in C, classes and methods in C++. It can be as primitive
or as sophisticated as you want.

--
Chris Knight
Consultant, Technical Communication Architect