Re: Do Technical Writers Deserve Their Own Office?

Subject: Re: Do Technical Writers Deserve Their Own Office?
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- CYBERPASS -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:59:13 -0700

>Our Documentation Group is having a hard time justifying private offices
>for technical writers to Product Development. We need some strong
>reasons to justify that we are different from developers and work more
>productively in a quiet working space, especially when we performing
>editing duties.

You're not different from developers. Everyone needs a quiet space to
work. Editing requires no greater freedom from distraction than programming.
For me, it requires less freedom from distraction than writing or
programming, but that's because I'm editing my own work.

At Microsoft, so I've heard, everyone gets an office. This was also true of
Autodesk when I was last there. Oracle has a mixture of offices and cubicles,
but in the departments I've been in, the cubicle areas are pretty quiet.  ...RM

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net>
Review Editor, IEEE Micro                       Berkeley, CA

(C) Copyright 1998.  All rights reserved.