Re: XML & Technical Writers...(struggling)

Subject: Re: XML & Technical Writers...(struggling)
From: Dave Whelan <dwhelan -at- PANGEA -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:40:15 -0500

The XML experts on this list are very persuasive. So much so, that I find
myself agreeing with opposing views according to the last post I have read.
This is partly because I do not fully understand the process. I know XML
promises to be a really important development to technical writers and I
think it might be helpful if the experts could let us in on the intricacies
of XML using language week can all understand.

As a start, tell me if I've got this right. Suppose you wanted to create an
XML document, send it to somebody else, and be sure they would be able to
see it in the way you wanted them to see it. This is the procedure you would
follow:

1. Create a DTD containing some rules defined by XML.
2. Create a tagging language conforming to the DTD.
3. Create an application program that will convert text formatted according
to the tagging language into a form suitable for viewing it on a particular
platform under a particular operating system.
4. Create the document.
5. Format it according to the tagging language.
6. Send the document to someone else.
7. Also send the DTD.
8. Also send the application program.
9. The recipient passes the document through an XML parser to check
compliance with your DTD.
10. The recipient passes your document through your application program.
11. The recipients views your document.

Is that how it to works?

Regards,
Dave.

David P. Whelan,
Whelan Technical Services (204) 334-1339
mailto:dwhelan -at- pangea -dot- ca
http://www.pangea.ca/~dwhelan