Re: FW: indexing /G'house

Subject: Re: FW: indexing /G'house
From: "L. H. Garlinghouse" <garlinghou -at- WATERLOOINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 09:25:16 -0600

In a manufacturing environment, we were tasked with indexing internal
documentation as part of an ISO 9k based system. We were limited to
the "keyword" function of our word processor and a mildly smart
numbering system.

We created a list of "official" keywords that were used to define
documents, and by extension, for searches. For example, in the
plant, "Line 1," "AE Line," "Line A," all described the same thing.
The official keyword was "Line 1." The official keywords were in a
duly issued document available electronically to almost everyone.

Additions, deletions and enhancements to the key word list were
handled by a change process similar to engineering drawings.

<< All opinions, statements, &c are my own>>
L.H. Garlinghouse, C.Q.E.
Pocahontas AR U.S.A.
(870) 892-4586 ext 7659
garlinghou -at- waterlooindustries -dot- com