Re: Newbies getting jobs...

Subject: Re: Newbies getting jobs...
From: Melissa Alton <maalton -at- UNITY -dot- NCSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:54:02 -0400

Tim said "Third, find out what employers want BEFORE you graduate or leave
your
current job. Talk to them directly. Talk to headhunters about what they're
seeing for requirements. Ask outright "If I get this or that, would you hire
me?" Ask what their priorities are in hiring...some value personality more
than skills. We're like that Simply Written; we can teach tools, but we
can't teach integrity or tenacity. "

I've been doing this for years (okay for 2 years because I've only been
involved with tech writing for 2) and the only people I get responses
from are people in STC and people from tis list. Now we just got to
get the people who work in the corporations around here to answer me...