Re: Describing menu navigation

Subject: Re: Describing menu navigation
From: Robin Hilp <rolybear -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 11:36:26 -0700

This method seems to work for my engineers & customers:

"Open the Source window Breakpoints menu Set Breakpoint dialog. You
can add, delete, and edit breakpoints as follows ..." (The Set
Breakpoint item opens a whole separate dialog.)

"Enable a signal in the CPU window Options menu Signals item." (The
Signals item has a sub-menu of items that can be enabled with a
click/checkmark.)

"Enable the Source window View menu Source Only item." (The Source
Only item can be enabled with a click/checkmark.)

Luckily, the menus I'm documenting only ever go 3 deep at most. The
above style would get too nested otherwise. I think I'd break it into
two phrases or sentences at that point -- for example, "Choose the
Source window View menu Format item; enable a Color Scheme value."
(Where Color Scheme, an item under Format, itself has a submenu.)

I also use notational conventions (bold, monospace, italics) to
distinguish between menu items, field names, verbatim (or example)
field values/keywords, and placeholders for the field values/keywords.
==
RolyBear, icq-1863181