Describing menu navigation

Subject: Describing menu navigation
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:28:32 -0400

"Blankenship, Larry" <BLANKLAR -at- GATEWAY -dot- COM> wrote:

>What I'm referring to is how to describe the navigation of >multiple levels of menus. For example, to get to the ATTN: >autotext in Word 97, you would select Tools => Autotext => >Attention Line => ATTN:

This is a widely used convention. However, I personally prefer to start
with the main menu and to use "then" between selections.

For example, for your example, I would favor "From the Tools menu,
select Autotext, then Attention Line, then ATTN."

My reason is simply that readers are foccusing on understanding the
process, and shouldn't be distracted by having to decipher the way that
the instructions are given. For the same reason, I've been steadily
reducing the typographical conventions in my manuals.

However, when the audience is likely to be familiar with the convention,
I have used the format you suggest.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(604) 421-7189 or 687-2133

"I'm a man of music and many words as well,
I've heard the deep sound of discontent,
The merry sigh of Hell;
We'll go to where the worlds all meet,
You can sing your song and stamp your feet,
You might even find a few hours' sleep
At the Celtic Hotel."
--Brian MacNeil