Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 9 Apr 1998 to 10 Apr 1998

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 9 Apr 1998 to 10 Apr 1998
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- GHAYHOE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 13:46:15 -0400

Tim Altom said:

<<Another peculiarity that will be addressed is that some people found the
background to be gray. We reviewed the site extensively ourselves and had
our webmaster do so, and found no gray. For the next update I'll specify a
white background, but I'd be curious to know who finds gray and who finds
white.>>

When redesigning my own site recently, I discovered that specifying a
"default" page background in FrontPage 98 will result in a gray background
when viewed with Netscape 3. (Remember all those dreadfully unreadable gray
pages from the early days of the WWW?) For the page background to display as
white in all browsers, you must choose "white" not "default."

It's advisable to test your site with multiple computers, multiple
platforms, and multiple releases of multiple browsers. Unfortunately, the
browser manufacturers don't seem to make it easy to do the last of these.

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 (803) 642-2156
Fax: +1 (803) 642-9325
http://www.ghayhoe.com

Best of Show Winner
Carolina Foothills/South Carolina STC Chapters
1997-98 Technical Publications Competition