Re: text conventions

Subject: Re: text conventions
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:44:48 -0500

can i please have your reactions to this statement:

centimeters is not an accepted international unit of measure. it
should be either meters or millimeters.

Hogwash. It depends upon your field. Different fields have different
standard units of measure. (In the scientific community, cm is quite
acceptable for example.)

it is not necessary to list a dimension to five significant digits,
e.g., 210.98 mm wide. this number should be rounded up to 211 mm.

it was my impression that in a Specification list, the exact
dimensions should be used, but in a text reference, rounding up is
ok. am i off the mark here?

What are the tolerances? If the manufacturing tolerance of the part is +/-
10 mm, there's no need to go to .01 mm resolution, as in the majority of
cases you will be supplying incorrect information. OTOH, if the tolerances
are truly to .01 mm, then rounding up is a serious error.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224