Re: Americans working in Canada?

Subject: Re: Americans working in Canada?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 19:57:46 -0400

Julie Knoeller wrote:

> Perhaps someone out there in Canada could tell me what the chances are of
> Americans getting hired in technical communications jobs in Canada... Does
> it happen, or are there enough Canadians to fill all the jobs? As someone
> who wouldn't AT ALL mind relocating, I'm very curious. Thanks.

Julie:

In Vancouver, the market is hot. It's been that way for a year, and
shows no signs of slowing down. There's a tremendous shortage of skilled
writers, both contract and full-time. If you have experience and proven
competence, you should have no trouble finding work.

In my own case, I haven't actively looked for work since October. Yet
I'm still averaging 2-3 calls a week. Other contractors seem to be
picking and choosing their work, too.

If all you have is persistence, you still have a chance. I've seen
several newbies blossom into skilled writers over the last year.

Most of the jobs, I'd say, are intermediate. Entry level and senior
positions are harder to come by, but can be found.

I can't speak, of course, for the rest of Canada. Nor do I know exactly
how an American gains permission to work in Canada; you might want to
see if there's a Canadian consulate in your area.

But the bottom line is that, in Vancoouver, experienced writers can be
as busy as they want to be.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(604) 421-7189 or 687-2133

It taks a stranger to understand
What the wind says in a strange land.
And the wind says, "This year, next year..."
- Oystter Band